Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cody took Cole to his parents house with him to hang out for a few hours. So, I am here because I have laundry from Cody's Business trip to do and some cleaning that I would like to get done and a dog to take to the groomer.
I sat to read the bible and picked up what I thought was originally Cody's grandpa's bible (which i have looked thru a few imes before) however, I ACTUALLY read the first page and this bible is really originally Cody's great grandpas and it is dated Dec. 25th, 1918. Wow! Anyways, so I started flipping thru it like I usually do to see what he has underlined or to read all the things that grandpa cut out and stuck in there and I found this poem. It is weird because I am sitting alone looking out our patio door at all the fingerprints and streaks on the glass, however this is not really something that bothers me because they have been there for probably two months. Anyways, this poem is good reminder on what matter when days are hard and never ending...

It's called "I Sit and Rock Alone"

Just yesterday it seems my children
Played upon the floor
And I wiped countless fingerprints
from the window plane and door

I kissed away a thousand tears
and darned sock after sock
And tried to keep pace with the hands
That raced around the clock.

And Often when at the end of day
Too tired to sleep, in bed I lay.
I'd think how nice when, children
grown,
My time again should be my own.

So, now I sit and rock alone,
My hands at rest, the work all done;
No little tots upon the floor,
No fingerprints upon the door.

No socks to mend, bruises to kiss-
Ah me! How could I know I'd miss
The very things I grudged to do?
Dear, God, if only there might be
Someone again who needed me!

Author Unknown

5 comments:

walkingcloser said...

that is so neat! that Bible is so old! the poem makes me sad, though, cause i really do have days where it seems like so much work to have a 2 (almost 3) year old! but someday i'm going to look back and miss these days! that was a great reminder! have fun cleaning the fingerprints!! :)

Jewel said...

Yes, thank you for that reminder to enjoy every moment of parenthood!

Unknown said...

Wow I love that poem!! I may have to print that out and put it on my fridge!

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful reminder! My baby isn't here yet :) , but I know there will be days in the future that I'll be annoyed that I can't keep things clean or keep ahead of the laundry or the cooking, and I'll have to remember this poem. Thanks for sharing Ash! :)

Jessica

Then There Were ....FIVE said...

Such an awesome poem! Thanks for sharing. You are an awesome mom!